Monday 4 April 2011

Color Crazy

Spring is here and finally the colour block trend has really hit it off. Prada, Cacharel, Gucci and of course Jil Sander; they all have worked it in different ways. But as exciting and bright and optimistic as colour block looks on editorials and runways, I'm slightly terrified at the prospect of seeing everyone stroll down the streets dressed in a "colourful" style (aka slightly clownesque).
As I see it, if the trend is not properly worked, it could all end in Alex de la Iglesia-like catastrophe:


So if you've decided to go color-crazy this summer, here are some tips that can help you get a truly stunning look.

1. Chromatic thinking. There are different types of colours: primary tones, pastels, acid, sherbet or fluoro shades... and you can't just mix everything regardless (unless you seriously master colour). I know this is pretty basic to all of us but the cool thing about it is you can work on your accessories, make-up and hair in different ways depending on the type of colours you're wearing, so the options are endless!

Christopher Kane

Gucci

Miu Miu

2. Colour + Fabric. When working up a colourful look, don't just think tones and shades, also play with fabrics and textures; you'll have more fun and a more interesting look! Shocking pink has very different effects if worn on a cotton top, a lace cardigan or a satin palazzo pant. Textures are as important in a look as colours, but they are too frequently overlooked...

Prada

Jil Sander

Dries Van Noten

Christopher Kane

3. Mix & Match. Nobody wants to walk down the street looking like a live Desigual advert! Even if you're going for a really extreme look, there are ways to avoid looking like a kindergarden's child drawing: mixing complementary colours, or mixing only cold shades with cold shades and warms with warms. I find also really chic mixing very bright colours with basics like white and especially beige. Very modern, very Céline, and always perfect.

Etro

Fendi

Burberry Prorsum

4. The Monochrome look. If what you want is to look truly eye catching, there's nothing like a totally monochromatic look. Just choose your favourite colour and build your complete outfit on different shades of it. The effect has something slightly otherworldly about it, and I can guarantee everyone will be dazzled.

Cacharel

Gucci

Miu Miu

Lanvin

5. Accessorizing. If you're not really in the mood for a colour overdose and you want your look to be sober but still interesting and contemporary, focus on colorizing your accessories: bags, shoes, belts, scarfs and even sunglasses can turn a neutral outfit upside down. So go for it, experiment and become color crazy!

Fendi

Prada

Fendi

Fendi

Christopher Kane

Miu Miu

Burberry Prorsum

Dries Van Noten

P.s: lots of Fendi accessories here, I know... but they are all irresistible, aren't they?

3 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, I think I'm in love with the Lanvin dress!! So fluid and feminine!
    About colors, I got a bit terrified too, when I saw some of this year collections. I'm not a "colour person" in terms of clothing..the best I do is to add it in tiny bits or in the details, and usually with black or nudes.
    Despite that, I like to see them in so many people! My mum wears the most amazing colours (some of them I'll never choose for myself) and she looks so elegant.
    It's a matter of taste and personal style don't you think? Loving to see some bright oranges in others but being incapable to choose them for myself. Not because I don't like them or because I'm affraid to try, I just don't like to see myself in them.
    ANyway, great post! Those items were all superb :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pues yo tengo favoritos:
    El de Prada y el de Lanvin.
    Por cierto ayer hemos visto Charada, y nos hemos acordado de ti!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Des règles basiques mais tout à fait utiles (pour certains plus que d'autres!)... personnellement ma combination préférée, et qui va difficilement passer de mode, c'est fluo+noir ou gris. Mais juste une touche, sinon ça fait signalétique automobile!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your lovely comments.